Jerez Airport (XRY)
History, Facts and Overview
(Jerez de la Frontera, Spain)
Seaplanes were long used to reach Jerez de la Frontera, before the airport came into existence. Founded in the 1930s, the Jerez Aerodrome was the region's very first airfield and situated within the suburb of Zarandilla, on the south-eastern side of the city itself. Soon after in 1937, a further aerodrome was planned and built to the north-east, becoming what is today known as Jerez Airport (XRY).
For 15 years, the airport was used mainly for training purposes and by flying clubs, comprising two separate runways and basic facilities. In the 1950s, the runways were improved and lengthened, a terminal completed and a state-of-the-art communications system installed.
However, it was not actually until 1968 that Jerez Airport opened for passenger traffic and began offering international flights. In the early 1990s, the airport was remodelled and a new two-storey terminal built. It was at this time that Jerez Airport was taken over by AENA (Aeropuertos Espanoles y Navegacion Aerea).
Facilities at Jerez Airport include duty-free and a handful of regular shops, such as the Aldeasa / Travel Value store and La Tienda del Aeropuerto, which is located within the lobby and a good place to pick up some last minute Spanish souvenirs and reading material. Also at Jerez Airport you will find an ATM, an information desk, travel operators, conference facilities, telephones, a restaurant and a café, serving coffee, soft drinks, beer and Spanish wines.